1/2 kg fish cut into pieces
Tamarind (about a size of an orange, soaked in 3/4 cup of water
1tbsp rock salt
3-5 tsps chilli powder
green chillies 3
Onion-small size 4-6
Tomatoes 2-3 chopped
Butter 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1tsp
For the tempering
3-4 tbsps oil
3/4 tsp methi seeds
1/2 tsp avualu(mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp jeera
1 chopped onion
2 stalks of curry leaves
1. Cut the fish into pieces and wash well and rub with salt and turmeric.
2. In a heavy-bottomed vessel heat oil and add methi seeds, jeera, and mustard seeds. After these are fried add the chopped onions(which u cut for tempering) and fry till they turn golden brown.
3. Add onions (if you are taking small onions you can put them as whole, if big then cut into dices), green chillies, and tomatoes and continue frying.
4. Now add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder and curry leaves and continue frying till it becomes a nice thick paste.
5. Now add tamarind juice, stir for a while and then add the fish pieces...check the consistency and if needed add some water.
6. Let it boil on a high flame for 10 minute...Cover and let it simmer till gravy thickens (approximately takes 20 minutes to 25 minutes)..at this stage you can add mango pieces to the curry. Add 1/2 tsp methi powder and mix well..also add 1/2 tbsp of butter and add coriander leaves and remove from fire. Leave the curry for sometime for the fish to absorb the gravy and serve.
This curry goes to the following event hosted by akila